Kenneth T. Key Scholarship for Taiwanese-Born Graduate Students

The Kenneth T. Key Fund is available to University of Iowa graduate students born in Taiwan. Awards of up to $1,000 can be used for two purposes: 1) tuition scholarships for students not on other fellowships or assistantships or whose tuition is not fully paid by another source, and 2) small awards for direct costs for allowable research, professional development/conference, or creative endeavor expenses (call to verify that it's an allowable expense). Awards are competitive and based on a student's academic record. Students are able to apply or receive the award more than once in different academic years.

Minimum Requirements

Applicants can be in any department or program and at any stage of their academic progress. The applicant must have been born in Taiwan.


Online applications must include the following items as separate PDF files:


  • Statement of educational goals and plans (no more than 300 words).
  • Proof of birth in Taiwan (such as a photocopy of a passport or visa)
  • Transcript (unofficial acceptable)
  • A detailed description and justification of expenses is required (up to 500 words).


  • One letter of support from the student’s advisor, DGS, or DEO.

Applications must be submitted online by the student’s department. Students must submit their part of the application materials to their department. Students should check with their department as soon as possible for departmental deadlines as well as to inform them they intend to apply. Applications submitted by the student (and not someone in the department such as the DGS, DEO or grad coordinator) will be voided and not considered.


The application deadline is rolling. Applications will be reviewed as they come in. Once all money is allocated for a given year, applications will no longer be accepted. Check the website for updates.

Additional Information

Please direct any questions to Graduate Administrative Affairs Coordinator Katie Bottorff (467-4307) or Associate Dean Shelly Campo (335-2136) or via email at