All SROP mentors are required to:
- Attend the Welcome and Orientation for Mentors and Students, as well as the closing luncheon.
- Incorporate student mentee into the faculty mentor's on-going research or assist in designing an appropriate research project for the student prior to their arrival.
- Communicate a commitment to provide a well-rounded and fulfilling experience for your student.
- Meet with the student on a weekly basis to monitor progress throughout completion of the project. Faculty who are planning to be away from campus frequently during the summer or for an extended period of time cannot be considered for this mentoring experience as consistent contact is required.
- Fully prepare lab or research team members on the SROP program and the student(s) joining your team for the summer.
- Work with the student on a rough draft and finished abstract which summarizes the research.
- Assist the student in preparing an abstract, poster and oral presentation of the research for the UI Summer Undergraduate Research Conference.
- Complete the Faculty Mentor Survey.
- Strongly consider volunteering for Professional Development programming during the summer.