Joesph E. and Ursil I. Callen Prize
The Joseph E. and Ursil I. Callen Prize is a $5,000 award presented to an outstanding graduating senior in the University of Iowa's College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Students must plan to attend graduate school at the University of Iowa or any other university in the summer or fall of 2021.
The winner will be recognized at the University of Iowa's annual Honors Award Ceremony.
Candidates must be United States citizens who were born in the United States. In addition to strong academic qualifications, award recipients must show evidence of school and/or civic leadership in high school and/or college.
Applicants must a graduating senior from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and be planning to attend graduate school at the University of Iowa or any other university in the summer or fall of 2021.
Online applications must include the following items as separate PDF files:
- A statement, not to exceed one page, describing the student’s academic and life goals.
- A list of graduate programs to which the student has applied, or the name of the institution the student will attend, accompanied by documentation of admission.
- An activity list which includes the student’s research activities, notable extracurricular activities in both high school and college, and awards received.
- A brief statement, not to exceed one page, describing leadership experiences.
LETTER OF SUPPORT:
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty member in the disciplinary area in which the student will pursue graduate work or in the student’s undergraduate major area.
- A transcript (can be unofficial) from the University of Iowa.
Applications should be submitted online by the student’s department. Students must submit their part of the application materials to their department at least two weeks prior to the Graduate College deadline. Students should check with their department as soon as possible for departmental deadlines as well as to inform them they intend to apply. Applications submitted by the student (and not someone in the department such as the DGS, DEO or grad coordinator) will be voided and not considered.
The Graduate College will accept applications for Fall 2021 from February 15, 2021 to March 1, 2021.
Please direct any questions to Executive Director of Operations Donna Welter (335-2145) or Associate Dean Shelly Campo (335-2136) or via email at email@example.com)