Postdoctoral scholars and fellows (HR Job Codes FP01 and FP02) are eligible for a number of University benefits and services. Questions regarding access to your University benefits should be directed to the service providers below. For general questions about services and your postdoctoral experience at Iowa, please contact Postdoctoral Affairs in the Graduate College (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Health & Dependent Care Spending Accounts
- Worker’s Compensation (available to FP01 postdocs only)
- Social Security & Retirement
- Paid Leave & FMLA
- Retirement (available to FP01 postdocs only)
- Office of the Ombudsperson - A resource for any member of the university community with a problem or concern. They provide informal conflict resolution, mediation services, and advocacy for fair treatment and fair process. To address any challenges you may face, please review this flow chart of procedures and resources for postdoctoral scholars and fellows.
- University Counseling Service – Postdocs (FP01/FP02) are eligible for free individual counseling, couples counseling, group counseling, outreach programming, support groups, and consultation services.
- Transportation & Parking - Postdocs (FP01/FP02) are eligible for parking privileges in Hancher, Finkbine, and Hawkeye Commuter lots, as well as a discounted bus pass for Iowa City and Coralville Transit. To purchase parking and/or bus passes, contact the Parking and Transportation office, located at 840 Evashevski Drive, 319-335-3824. The UI Cambus provides free bus service to the UI campus.
- Off-Campus Housing – Provides resources for locating off-campus housing in Iowa City and surrounding areas
- University Wellness and Recreation Membership – Postdocs (FP01/FP02) are eligible for discounted memberships. To purchase a membership, visit the Campus Recreation & Wellness Center. Questions about postdoc memberships should be directed to email@example.com.
- Employee Assistance Program – Provides integrated services to postdocs and family members to promote emotional well-being and to increase engagement and productivity among members of the UI community. All postdocs are eligible for EAP services such as confidential, short-term counseling, as well as referral to community resources. Neither FP01 or FP02 Postdocs are eligible for the liveWELL program.
- Family Services – Provides information and resources for childcare, new parent resources, elder caregiving, veteran/military families, and flexible work arrangements
- Income Tax Resources – The Tippie College of Business and International Student and Scholar Services provide income tax resources for postdocs (FP01/FP02).
- Staff Language and Culture Services – Provides language instruction, cultural training, and communications support. International Student and Scholar Services offers programming and resources for international scholars. The University offers English as a Second Language (ESL) courses, as well as a variety of more informal English language learning opportunities such as Campus Conversation Partners and Communication Skills for Professionals.
- Course Audit - Postdocs at the University of Iowa (FP01/FP02) are eligible to audit one University of Iowa course per semester without being assessed tuition and mandatory fees for that course. To qualify for this benefit, the postdoc's supervisor must verify that auditing the course will contribute to his or her professional development in their current position. In addition, the postdoc must apply as a non-degree student (there is a small fee) https://grad.admissions.uiowa.edu/apply/applying-nondegree-graduate-student.