Summer Research Opportunities Program
The Graduate College’s Summer Research Opportunities Program (SROP) is an award-winning eight-week immersion program designed to provide underrepresented undergraduate students with in-depth research experiences. SROP is a gateway to graduate education in a Big Ten Academic Alliance Initiative at the University of Iowa.
Students receive first-hand exposure to the graduate school experience at the University of Iowa and scholarly research by being paired with a faculty mentor whose work is closely related to their academic interests and career goals. Students will showcase their work at the UI Summer Undergraduate Research Conference, which is a culmination of their summer undergraduate research experiences.
- Enrolled in a degree-granting program at a college or university. Must not have completed undergraduate work and does not anticipate graduation the summer or following fall of the program. Preference is given to sophomore and junior students.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale.
- Stated goal of a graduate degree and interest in a research career. The SROP program is not for students pursuing professional degrees such as law, professional health sciences, and MBA degrees.
- Be a member of a group that is historically underrepresented in graduate education with a preference for with a preference for underrepresented minorities (Black or African American, Hispanic or Latino, American Indian or Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander), first generation students, and students with disabilities (who are defined as those with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity, as described in the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended).
- Willing to devote full time to the program during the eight-week session—not taking classes or gainfully employed.
Additional information on eligibility can be found on the Big Ten Academic Alliance website.
Applications for the 2023 program will open on November 1, 2022 on the Big Ten Academic Alliance website and will be accepted until February 10, 2023.
The 2023 SROP dates are June 1 - July 28, 2023.
For more information, please contact Grad-DEI Coordinator Jackie Chu at email@example.com.