The Biomedical Scholars Summer Undergraduate Research Program (BSURP) at the University of Iowa is sponsored by six Interdisciplinary Graduate Programs in Genetics, Human Toxicology, Immunology, Molecular Medicine, Neuroscience, and Free Radical and Radiation Biology.
The purpose of the BSURP is to provide talented undergraduate bioscience majors with direct laboratory research experience under the mentorship of research faculty members, to introduce them to the challenges and rewards provided by a research career, and to showcase the outstanding biomedical research training opportunities at the University of Iowa.
The BSURP program helped me discover what I liked and didn’t like about research. It gave me access to an abundant faculty in which I made connections that directed me to the place I am today. It also provided me with amazing friends and a unique experience of Iowa city night life and festivals. - Sammy Santiago Valle, Alex Bassuk lab (2020 participant)
BSURP was a positive transformational experience for me as a researcher and a graduate student. Thanks to the support of BSURP, I designed a whole new experiment, learned new techniques, and dedicated time to research that many full-time students don’t have the opportunity to do. The skills I learned and the supportive faculty I met during my time in BSURP inspired me to pursue my passion in research, solidifying my decision to apply to graduate school. - Hunter Brown, 1st year rotating student (2022 participant)
Scholars who have completed the sophomore or junior year, majoring in any area of the biological sciences at an accredited four-year college or university, are eligible. Women and members of underrepresented minority groups are encouraged to apply. This program is open to US citizens or permanent residents.
This is a 10-week residential summer program. The 2024 program is expected to begin Monday, May 20 and end on Friday, July 26, 2024 (10-week program). Departures from this schedule can be considered only in special circumstances. Scholars are expected to devote their full time to the program for its duration.
What is provided?
We anticipate that each scholar will be provided:
- A highly competitive stipend at a minimum of $5,250
- Housing in the University of Iowa dormitories
- A travel award of up to $500 to help offset the cost of travel to and from Iowa City
This is an award to support research. Academic credit is not awarded.
1) Submit a completed on-line application form and please include the following items in your application upload:
- An academic transcript that includes Fall 2023 grades (when available)
- In the on-line application form, applicants will rank order the Graduate Program(s) that best align with their research interests. If selected, the scholar will then work with the Programs to identify an appropriate faculty research mentor.
2) Provide contact information for two faculty members familiar with your skills and aptitudes (particularly in the biological sciences). Faculty members will receive an email from email@example.com requesting they upload their letter of recommendation to a link provided in the email.
The application portal for Summer 2024 is open November 15 - February 1st. Applications will be evaluated after the admissions portal closes.
For additional information contact the Interdisciplinary Graduate Programs by email, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Biomedical Scholars Summer Undergraduate Research Program
357 Medical Research Center
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA 52242-1182