The Graduate College and Departments will collaborate with University Human Resources Faculty and Staff Disability Services Office (FSDS) and Student Disability Services (SDS) to administer all workplace accommodation needs (including new or ongoing health conditions) for graduate assistants. Workplace accommodation needs are those associated with a health condition that results in a need for time away from work -or- accommodations while at work. The process for seeking workplace accommodations is provided below.

Accommodation Process:

  1. When a graduate assistant reports that their health is impacting the ability to perform job duties, the student may need a workplace accommodation. If so, the student should contact their departmental HR representative, or an HR representative in the Graduate College. If a faculty member becomes aware of a potential need for a workplace accommodation, they should contact the applicable department HR representative immediately. Once the graduate assistant has notified any of the above referenced individuals, the recipient of the report will be responsible for submitting a consult form to Student Disability Services (SDS) or Faculty and Staff Disability Services (FSDS). Once submitted, the intake will assist SDS and/or FSDS to determine the appropriate accommodation.
  1. If a graduate assistant would prefer to have a confidential conversation with a member of the SDS or FSDS staff office to discuss their health needs, they may schedule an appointment by contacting:
    SDS at (319) 335-1462 or via email at
    FSDS at (319) 335-2660 or via email
  1. Students needing academic accommodations should apply through Student Disability Services (SDS) in addition to FSDS for workplace accommodations.

The centralization of leave and disability and the involvement of SDS and FSDS will ensure that graduate assistants will be appropriately accommodated.