The University of Iowa Staff Council (UISC) was established in 1967 as an avenue for input into university decisions affecting staff and to help staff gain a broader understanding of university strategic goals and initiatives. We represent non-bargaining professional and merit staff across the university.
My name is Elizabeth Lara and I am pleased to represent the Graduate College and Distance and Online Education on the UISC. I have served as the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Director at the Graduate College since 2019. I also am the director of the Summer Research Opportunities Program.
Below I have included the UISC's mission and goals.
The Council supports the University mission. In pursuing that mission, the Council seeks to advance such endeavors through visibly active staff participation/involvement both campus-wide and community-wide in a spirit of unity and open communication with other shared governance organizations on campus.
The goals of UISC are:
- Advocate on behalf of represented staff
- Advise the University Administration on policies
- Inform the University community of the activities of the Council
- Promote University relations within the community of Iowa City and the State of Iowa
- Collaborate with shared governance organizations on campus, notably the Faculty Senate, Student Government and organizational shared governance groups
- Promote staff learning through professional development and awards
- Promote communication and shared governance among staff, central administration, Faculty Senate and Student Government
Please visit the UISC website to view meeting schedules, agendas, and minutes. You are always welcome to attend monthly meetings, the time and location are displayed right on the homepage.
Feel free to contact me with any concerns/questions and I can take them to the meetings for you. I can be reached by email at email@example.com or by phone at 319-384-2704. I look forward to being a voice for staff and participating in shared governance on our campus. Go Hawks!